A surprise Nintendo Direct detailing Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U dropped early this morning, and it’s a doozy, complete with the stilted acting and silly corporate humor we’ve come to expect of Nintendo’s preferred announcement platform.
If Mario Kart is your “jam” and you’ve got 36 minutes to spare, you can watch the full video below. Of course, if you’re like me and prefer SparkNotes, we’ve pulled the highlights and listed those as well.
- “Anti-Gravity Racing” is explained in detail, which is exactly what it sounds like.
- There’s an introduction to “Spin Boosting,” which is also exactly what it sounds like.
- The new vehicle customization options are covered (wheels, body, etc.).
- New racers confirmed – The Koopalings, Larry, Roy, Iggy, Lemmy, Morton, Wendy, and Ludwig; Baby Rosalina; and Pink Gold Peach (yes, for realsies).
- The roster boasts a grand total of 30 racers, plus Mii characters.
- New weapons include the Boomerang Flower, Piranha Plant, Crazy 8 (“eight items for the price of one”), and Super Horn.
- Vehicle types were explained through “science” – in short, vehicle choice matters based on the course you play.
- Online gameplay finalized and explained, including voice chat, online tournaments, and rankings.
- Ghost data can be downloaded online, including ghost data from the dev team (very cool).
- “Mario Kart TV” introduced and explained, complete with video replays and uploading, even direct to YouTube.
Anyone planning to purchase or considering Mario Kart 8 should know:
- If you buy Mario Kart 8 and register your copy with Club Nintendo by July 31st, you’ll get one of four Wii U titles – New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, or Wii Party U.
- Mario Kart 8 Wii U bundle includes a black Wii U Deluxe, Wii Wheel accessory, Mario Wii Remote Plus, and (of course) Mario Kart 8.
All in all, Mario Kart 8 is looking pretty solid, and you can’t beat getting a free game on top of one many Wii U owners will be picking up anyway.
Click here to pre-order your copy of Mario Kart 8 on Amazon.
Via: Nintendo Direct